Occasional blogging, mostly of the long-form variety.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

V.D. 2012


Ah, Valentine's Day. I'll go ahead and link my 2008 rant, 'The Death of Twue Wove,' a.ka. 'The Grinch Who Shanked Cupid,' since I can't really top it. (Sorry for the dated political references.)

However, many of the "some e-cards" on relationships and Valentine's Day are pretty funny. You could almost tell a tale with them (and another graphic or two).

Courtship:


The implicit relationship contract:


The breakup:


Post-breakup:


Post-post-breakup:


I'm also amused by the ones on the internet, social media, Newt Gingrich and um, white people.

Finally, in recognition of twue wove and all its human flaws and small joys – as opposed to shallow, saccharine, commercialized cheap sentiment – here's one of the truly great love poems:

Sonnet 130
By William Shakespeare

My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun;
Coral is far more red than her lips' red;
If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;
If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.
I have seen roses damasked, red and white,
But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
And in some perfumes is there more delight
Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.
I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
That music hath a far more pleasing sound;
I grant I never saw a goddess go;
My mistress when she walks treads on the ground.
And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare
As any she belied with false compare.

3 comments:

Cirze said...

Bat,

Thank you.

I'm so sorry I didn't see this yesterday but I was so damned depressed . . . .

Again, thank you for the much-needed belly laughs.

Yours in twoo wove,

S

P.S. You're the best!

Anonymous said...

Hey Batocchio, I'm actually still working on my Valentines for Mr. Aimai. He wrote me a sonnet, about politics, and I am doing a collage, sort of a found poem/meditation and pastiche based on random valentines cards I picked up. I agree with you about the possibility of a "story line" emerging from the valentines memorabilia and ephemera that is scattered around. Once you think of it as telling a story you can have quite a bit of fun whether you are telling an anti romance (I can live quite well without you) or a romance (I live for you). I consider myself lucky to be living the dweam with a romantic. Luckily I can't remember ever really reflecting on valentines day until I was in a serious romance and then married so I don't look back on years of heartbreak. But maybe I've just repressed it.

aimai

Batocchio said...

Suzan, happy to help.

aimai, that sounds cool!